I know, I know... just another boat meets atoll story... I had "Dust to Dust" by the Civil Wars stuck in my head this week, so naturally I decided to rip it off. Add a heaping helping of metaphor, and voila!
Here's what I think went well this week: I started with lyrics this time, though not by writing a poem and then setting it to music. Instead, with the imagery of an island and a boat in mind, I brain dumped a pile of words and phrases. Then, I grabbed from this list both while I was working out the melody and while assembling the final lyrics. I will do this again in the future.
And an observation, though I haven't decided whether it's good or bad: the music portion of the writing seems to depend heavily on what instrument I'm using. I originally started generating ideas this week by tapping away at the piano app on my phone. I had something going, but I was unable to keep working on it without a real piano. Trying to move to the guitar or mandolin was prohibitively frustrating, because I don't know as many chords on those. I've noticed that I get very different sounding music depending on the instrument, I think because I don't have a strong intuition of what notes will come out when my fingers do different things. I guess that makes instruments pretty useful as random sound-idea generators, each with a different probability distribution function. So maybe it's good. Either way, I think I need to get a piano.
No comments:
Post a Comment