Ugh...
I wrote a bad song. This is what I set to do, but I feel like I need to excuse myself nonetheless. The lyrics are exhausting and ham-fisted. The music is boring and repetitive. The recording sucks. The chorus is too high for me...
Now that I've got that out of the way, this week was actually pretty successful by some measures. I spent much less time working on it, just 3-4 sessions of my primary focus. I followed my own advice with writing down a pile of lyrics first, and moving them around later. Also, I was much more diligent about writing down whatever lyrics came to mind. Granted, they suck, but at least it was a lot easier to finish.
I'd also like to address the subject matter. Songwriting can be extremely personal. It's very easy to filter the songs you share because you are embarrassed to expose yourself. But if you avoid the sensitive material, there's not much left for songs to be about. So I'm actively forcing myself to share something that feels embarrassing. That said, (and I'm totally covering my ass here) I do sometimes invoke poetic license. A song might start from a real emotion or situation, but I will often exaggerate, flip roles, completely change the direction, and otherwise distort the genuine article. And that's assuming I didn't just make up the whole thing. I think what I mean is, please don't think too hard about the meaning of my songs as they apply to me, as a person you might know - it makes me bashful.
No comments:
Post a Comment