Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Hundreds of pages, pages, pages for words

So I was going to entitle this post the same exact title as Marlena's last post. But for the opposite reason, ha! I knew Marlena was a great partner for this project because a) she's dedicated and b) she's way more musical than I am, and I would learn a lot from her. I didn't realize we had such opposing weaknesses.

I... well, I love words. I love the way words sound, the way that people combine and recombine them, the way some march and some glide and some just sit and glare. I love words in other languages, especially the ones that bounce. Some of my favorites are "krankenwagen" (ambulance in German) and "колокола" (bells in Russian).

If you're wondering why we're both all about the Jason Mraz right now, it's because we were just listening to him in the car the other day bonding over how much we are just in love with the song "You And I Both." I love loosely structured music, and listening to that song is like being cradled in this free flowing melody along a tumbling river of words. The whole song is just paint strokes upon paint strokes - pure art.

I started listening to the rest of his CDs on my way to work, and I realized that there were so many gorgeous lyrics that I never really heard because, to be honest, I'm not that into the melodies to which they belong. So, I thought I'd write an entry dedicated to some of my favorite lyrics (maybe I'm just procrastinating on this actual songwriting business... o_O)

Some of these I just find clever, others have really brilliant rhymes, and the select few are just poetry that I savor on my tongue like honey. I'll just keep adding to this post whenever I think of more:

Jason Mraz "Mr. Curiosity"
"I'm the same the way you left me,
In a hurry to spell check me
And I'm underlined already in envy green
And pencil red
And I've forgotten what you've said."


Jason Mraz "Life Is Wonderful"
"And it takes no time to fall in love
But it takes you years to know what love is
It takes some fears to make you trust
It takes those tears to make it rust
It takes the dust to have it polished"


Incubus "11am
"seven a.m.,
the garbage truck beeps as it backs up
and I start my day thinking about what I've thrown away."


Smashmouth "All Star" (yes, a 90s pop song, but I like the play on words)
"Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas,
I need to get myself away from this place.
I said, 'Yep, what a concept. I could use a little fuel myself,
and we could all use a little change.'" 

Eminem "Infinite" (you have to listen to this song to get the full brilliance of the rhyme scheme)
"I came to cause some pandemonium
Battle a band of phony M-

C's and stand the lonely one"

Death Cab For Cutie "Stay Young Go Dancing"
"Lost in a maze of a thousand rainy days
Of a thousand rainy days
But when I heard her voice, oh it led me to the end
Yes it led me to the end
Cause when she sings I hear a symphony
And I'm swallowed in sound as it echoes through me
I'm renewed, oh how I feel alive and through autumn's advancing
We'll stay young, go dancing
"

Shakira "Moscas En La Casa" (a bit long, but this song is just gorgeous)
"Mis dias sin ti no tienen noches -- My days without you don't have nights
Si alguna aparece, es inutil dormir -- If anything appears, it's useless to sleep
Mis dias sin ti son un derroche -- My days without you are a waste
Las horas no tienen principio ni fin. -- The hours don't have a beginning nor end.
Mis dias sin ti son como un cielo -- My days without you are like a sky
Sin lunas plateadas, ni rastros de sol -- Without silver moons, nor traces of sun
Mis dias sin ti son solo un eco -- My days without you are only an echo
Que siempre repite la misma cancion -- That always repeats the same song.
Tan faltos de aire -- Too lacking in air
Tan llenos de nada -- Too full of nothing
Chatarra inservible -- Useless scraps
Basura en el suelo -- Trash on the floor
Moscas en la casa -- Flies in the house"

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to steal the post title - it was you who put that song in my head. I'm really looking forward to the learning exchange from our opposing weaknesses. And it would also be interesting to join forces with our strengths at some point.

    ReplyDelete